Wondering what Voice Actions for Android is? This tool, available on several Motorola devices including DROID RAZR by Motorola, DROID 4 by Motorola and the Motorola PHOTON™ 4G. Voice Actions is an intuitive way to control your Motorola phone simply by using your voice. You can use Voice Actions in Voice Search to call your contacts, get directions, send messages, and to perform a number of other common tasks, in addition to searching the web.
Here’s some instructions for getting started:
Use Voice Actions to search the web or perform other tasks
- Tap the Search key at the bottom of the phone . Or touch the Microphone icon in the Google search box or in the Browser’s URL box.The first few times you open Voice Search, it offers hints about how to use it and offers to play an introductory video. You can touch Speak now to use Voice Search at any time.Subsequently, a dialog opens, prompting you to speak Voice Actions or search the web. You can touch Help to open the hints screen again.
- Speak the voice action you want to use, or the words you want to search for. The complete set of Voice Actions is detailed in Voice Action commands.When you’re finished speaking, Voice Search analyzes your speech and initiates the action.If you have the Use My Locationsetting checked in the Google Search settings, local results are featured in your search results.If Google Search didn’t understand what you said, it presents a list of similar-sounding search terms and actions, which you can touch to continue with that action.
Some Voice Actions open a panel where you’re prompted to complete the action, by speaking or typing.
Complete a Voice Action
Some Voice Actions, such as “send email” and “note to self,” open a panel that prompts you to complete the action by speaking or typing more information.
- Touch any text already entered in the panel to add or edit the text by speaking or typing.
- Touch blue words or phrases or drag across multiple words to view a list of other possible transcriptions or to edit by speaking or typing.Voice Search displays words that it is confident it has transcribed accurately in black. Words or phrases with alternate transcriptions available are displayed in blue.
- Touch a button at the bottom of the window to add any optional fields (you can also speak the name and content of any of these fields in your original voice action).
- When you’re done, touch the button appropriate to completing the action, such as Send or Set.
Need further proof of how effective Voice Actions is? Check out the battle royale with Voice Actions on a MOTOROLA ATRIX 2 in one corner and Siri in another. So, which one knocks out your commands the fastest? Well, we don’t want to toot our own horn so we’ll just sound the bell.
See the showdown.