TTY Compatibility in the US
A TTY is an assistive device that lets people who are hard of hearing, or have speech needs use the telephone to communicate, by allowing them to type messages back and forth instead of talking and listening. A TTY is required by both users in order to communicate. Our mobile devices are TTY compatible. The following applies to U.S. consumers - including but not limited to those with disabilities - who use TTY devices.
While most users of text-based communications prefer instant messaging, text messaging, or Email, some people still prefer to connect their mobile devices to an external TTY device. This requires an audio cord that is manufactured and supplied by the TTY manufacturer. If your TTY device does not have a cord to connect to a wireless phone, please contact the TTY manufacturer as Motorola does not make or supply these cords. In addition, there may be a need for an adapter to match the TTY cord with your wireless device. If you find that the TTY cord supplied by the TTY manufacturer is a different size or type than the headset connector on your Motorola product, please contact Motorola for the appropriate adapter at 888-390-6456 (TTY) or 800-734-5870 (Voice).
For Motorola products using the Android operating system, the menu structure to activate the TTY feature generally follows a consistent user interface. For general instructions on how to activate TTY in a Motorola Android product, please see the following document. If you find that your Motorola Android product is different and you need assistance, please contact Motorola for the appropriate adapter at 888-390-6456 (TTY) or 800-734-5870 (Voice).
Activating TTY on Motorola Android Products
The following steps should allow you to enable TTY on your Motorola device that has an Android operating system. If you find that your Motorola Android product is different and you need assistance, please contact Motorola for the appropriate adapter at 888-390-6456 (TTY) or 800-331-6456 (Voice).
- Select the “Phone” icon main application “tray” atfrom the bottom-center of the touchscreen.
- Once the application tray is open, all of the applications are listed in alphabetical order. Find and select the one called “Settings.” icon from the upper right of the touchscreen.
- Once Settings is activated, there will be a list of options. Find and select the “Call Settings” option.
- Once the Call Settings option is activated, find and select the “TTY mode” option.
- Once the TTY mode option is activated, there will be four settings from which to choose:
- TTY Off
- TTY Full
- TTY HCO (for users of Hearing Carry Over mode)
- TTY VCO (for users of Voice Carry Over mode)
- Select the option appropriate for your needs. Users who do not intend to connect an external TTY device to your Motorola product should keep the “TTY Off” setting at all times.
- Press the “Home” key from the bottom-center of the touchscreen to exit the menu structure and return to the Home screen.